1. What was the first difference you noticed between Chinese and American women’s prospective styles?
In general, American women are more confident with their style choices, and they are not afraid of experimenting!
2. Does a woman with extensive fashion knowledge impress you or does she come off as shallow?
Of course she would impress me. Fashion is not simply about what you put on your body, it is a reflection of your mood and an expression of who you are. If she knows a lot about fashion, it simply means that she takes life seriously and lives the most out of it!
3. Hot or Not
- Cork-wedged sandals → NOT. This is just personal opinion. I admit I have seen some girls looking extremely good in cork-wedged sandals (P.S. If your sandals are white, better keep them clean. Nothing turns guys off more than dirty shoes).
- Maxi dresses → HOT if you are tall enough to rock them.
- Wide leg pants → HOT. Wide leg pants are the NOW trend. It is very European, and people look effortlessly chic in those pants.
- Crop tops → NOT. There is nothing really interesting about crop tops. They never make/complement an outfit (but sometimes they do destroy your look).
- Crochet and macrame tops/dresses → Not/Hot. Really depend on the dress. It is hard to give a finite answer.
- Cocktail rings → HOT. They are an instant upgrade to every look. Cocktail rings inject an exotic element that makes a person look a bit more distinctive and edgy.
- High-waisted shorts → NOT.
- Cat-eyed sunglasses → HOT. These are a classic! It is an easy way to look like a Hollywood somebody.
- Strong-shoulder jackets/ dresses → HOT. Strong-shoulders give women a sense of masculinity and power, which is at least refreshing and interesting to men
- Sorority Tote bags → NOT. Sorority tote bags are like Becks’ free tote bags, good for going to the beach, but not a hot fashion trend
- Cow-boy boots → NOT x 2. They are kind of like Maxi dresses. There is nothing wrong with the style. It is just extremely hard to pull it off.
- Hoop-earrings → HOT for clubs, a little bit too much for every day.
4. The Scenario: You’ve been invited to a black tie event and you can invite one person? You want to ask a close female friend to join you, but you know she has a terrible sense of style. Do you invite her anyway, or do you find someone else to ask?
I will probably still invite her, but I will see if I can offer her some advice in a subtle way.
5. What’s one accessory you’d love to see women wear more often?
Necklaces. I always wonder why women don’t wear necklaces often enough. An appropriate necklace can instantly complement your outfit and bring it to the next level, whether you are wearing a bright summer dress or a wool sweater.
6. Is there one designer brand that you think every woman should have in her closet?
J.Crew. I truly think J.Crew is a great brand. It offers true American preppy style in a modern way and at a good price (the stores often offer great discounts too).
7. When it comes to make-up do you prefer a natural look or made-up one?
Make-up. I love beautiful women. If make-up can help them, why not!
8. What’s one thing NU women find trendy that you really hate?
I can’t really think of one…hmm, sweatpants, does that count? They are designed for home use for a reason.
9. Any final style advice for the NU ladies out there?
Fashion is something so relevant to our lives yet a lot of people choose to ignore it. Every effort you put in it is obvious to the outside world. So work it, and let people see the very best of you.
Ray Yang is a great NU guy and friend to all women. Now go out there and WORK. IT. Ladies!